You Raise Me Up

Pairing: Rowan Whitethorn x reader
Warning: blood, gore, death
Note: listen to You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban. I would say this is an AU of some sort, he never took the blood oath to Maeve.
Requested by: no one

                                                Rowan stared at the ceiling, unable to sleep once again. His mate was sleeping beside him, curled up by his side, her hand resting on his abdomen. Rowan played with her hair for a bit, loving how smooth and soft her hair was to his fingers.

                                                He felt her shift in her sleep, he let go of her hair and placed his hand on her back making her smile in her sleep. Rowan slowly slid out of bed, making sure she didn't wake from her peaceful sleep. Rowan quietly opened the door then quietly shut it behind him.

He lost Lyria nearly a century ago, but he shortly met Y/n afterward. When she found out Maeve had offered him the oath, she begged him not to take it, that all Maeve will do to him is use him or torture him in different ways. He was so close to accepting the blood oath but he stopped when he heard three words he never thought he'd hear again, "I love you."

                                                  She felt the connection almost immediately after meeting him but Rowan had not since he was still grieving for Lyria. Rowan's never heard of a mate bond right after losing a previous one, but he was glad he met Y/n, she helped him in so many different ways after losing Lyria. But it wasn't fair for her to help him get over her when he is her first mate.

                                                  Rowan leaned against the railing of the balcony on the second floor of his shared home with his mate with a sigh, he didn't need to hear her footsteps, he just needed her scent. "You haven't been sleeping very well," Y/n softly said, silently walking over to him so she can place her hand on his arm. "What's wrong?" She softly asked. "It's not fair for you to go through this when I'm your first mate," Rowan told her. "Rowan," Y/n started but he cut her off. "It's not fair that you have to hear me talk about my previous mate, it's not fair for you, nothing is fair about our mate bond. Especially for you," Rowan continued on, his knuckles turning white as he clamped the railing. "Rowan, stop," she finally said, in a firm voice.

                                                   "Look at me," she demanded, Rowan refused to. "Look. At. Me," she demanded again so he did. "I understand that you're in pain, believe me, I know that type of pain too," she said. "My family, no, my real family was murdered while I was away for something, I don't even remember what I left for. All I remember is screaming when I found my parents' head on a pike outside of the gate, my baby brother was hanging by his neck, my pregnant older sister's head was mounted on a pike next to my parents and her body was strung up beside her beheaded mate. I don't even remember what happened next, all I remember is someone carrying me away then everything went black," she told him. "I know the feeling of losing someone. I locked myself away, I refused to lower my walls to anyone until I needed them the most. Please, don't lock me out. Let me in."

                                                   Rowan ducked, his lips ghosting over hers. "I'm sorry, Y/n," he murmured, she leaned up to kiss him again. "Don't be," she murmured. "I'm glad you told me," Y/n said. "Before I met you, I was so scared of meeting my mate, I was so afraid the same thing would happen to the family that my mate and I started," she admitted. "And now?" Rowan asked, his thumb brushing against her lips. "Not anymore. No longer will fear haunt me."

                                                  When the couple returned to bed, they shared promises, whispering "I love you" over and over again, kissing one another, and more "I love you"'s.

                                                   That night, and on, Rowan slept in peace for the first time in ages.